In March 1923, Zion National Park was allocated a federal appropriation to identify park roads, including $40,000 to construct a bridge on public land outside of the park boundary; the Town of Rockville was selected for this structure. Spanning the Virgin River, this single-lane, 217-foot rigid-connected Parker through truss bridge was constructed, consisting of twelve panels in a single span of steel truss supported by concrete abutments.
The Rockville Bridge performed a valuable role in the development of tourism in southwest Utah. For early park visitors, it cut 33 miles off the trek from Zion National Park to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is the last surviving Parker through truss bridge in the state. Incorporating distinctive characteristics in its method of construction, it is architecturally and technologically signifcant. The bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.