The three historic buildings which comprise Salt Lake City's LDS Tenth Ward are the only remaining complex of LDS ward buildings that document the city's earliest history when wards served the spiritual, cultural, educational, and economic needs of their members. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints undertook a remarkable $3 million renovation project to preserve these significant buildings and allow them to serve the modem needs of ward members.
"Essentially, we built a new building inside the old walls," explains David Fletcher of Thomas Petersen Hammond Architects. Steel helical piers, new foundations, and new walls now bear the weight of the buildings. The most striking change on the exterior was the removal of many layers of paint. With their original masonry exposed, it is now easy to see the buildings as three distinct structures.
The interior renovation both preserved important historic features and made the building more functional. The interior of the 1873 meetinghouse was recreated with the help of historic photos taken prior to 1900. Throughout the complex, wood trim, windows, and doors were repaired. Old infill construction was removed and new restrooms, circulation paths, and support spaces created.
Members of the Tenth Ward are thrilled with the beautiful results of this project. They have opened the buildings for tours each week to share their historic treasure with the public.