The Firestone Tire & Rubber Company constructed this building in 1925 as automobiles became a regular feature of Salt Lake City life. It served continuously as a tire and truck service center for over 70 years. Looking for a building with potential for mixed-use development, Allen/Millo Properties and City Life Properties purchased the Firestone Building in 1996. Their adaptive use project, named "Tire Town" in honor of the building's vulcanized past, was one of the first in the Pioneer Park neighborhood.
The large, open interior spaces on the Firestone's first floor proved ideal for new retail space. Project architects Allen/Millo Associates, as the building owner, sought commercial tenants that would respect the structure's historic character and help build the local community. Tire Town's first tenant, Tony Caputo's Market and Deli, became an instant institution. The second level of the building was developed as three, 10ft style condominiums with numerous innovative features, including rooftop gardens. The exterior renovation preserved the building's original materials as well as the painted wall signs and rooftop sign. Enlarged sidewalks, trees, and a permanents steel awning have created a pedestrian- friendly streetscape.
Located on a prominent comer at 300 West and 300 South, Tire Town creates an inviting entry into the Pioneer Park Neighborhood. The project has both served as a catalyst and set a high standard for the rehabilitation of the historic buildings around the park.