If Johannes Huber could visit the Midway house he built in 1878, he would think time had stood still for nearly 120 years. Huber was a fruit grower, poet, and LDS missionary who served as a catalyst for the establishment of Swiss immigrants in the West. His home, one Utah's few documented examples of Swiss-American architecture, served as a community gathering place.
Members of the Huber family lived in the house until the property became part of the Wasatch Mountain State Park in the early 1960s. Then the building sat vacant for decades. Thanks to the vision of Huber's great-granddaughter Marie Dagleish, the generosity of David Huber, and the efforts of the staff at Wasatch Mountain State Park, the ranch house and creamery have been meticulously restored.
The creamery, built around 1900 of local "pot rock," was in particularly dire condition. The front wall had settled and was tipping away from the building. Utilizing extensive documentation from old photographs, family records, and on-site artifacts, a team of skilled architects and contractors restored each individual architectural component to its original appearance. The house's historic kitchen which had been removed was reconstructed in its original location using archaeological evidence and photos.
Marie Dagleigh, who has doggedly worked to have her family's heritage restored since she was 14, organized a Swiss parade to celebrate the buildings' dedication. We think Johannes Huber would approve.