The Albert Kelly House is one of only five homes on the National Register of Historic Places remaining in Salt Lake City's central business district. Before David Ericson purchased the home in June 2001, it sat condemned and boarded for eight years. Yet beneath the years of neglect, much of the home's original fabric remained intact.
With the help of friends, family, volunteers, and skilled craftsmen, David Ericson transformed the house from an eyesore into an elegant art gallery in just four months. Ericson took particular care to restore and reuse original materials. If features were missing, he used only materials available at the time of the house's construction in 1884 to replace them.
No detail was too small to escape Ericson's attention. The outlets, ducts, and grills for the new electrical and mechanical systems are all carefully hidden from view. In reconstructing the original front porch, Ericson hired a craftsman to create brackets using native Utah pine and period joinery.
Ericson also tackled major problems. The house's original soft brick had been painted since before 1911. The paint trapped moisture and caused the brick to spall. Contractors carefully removed the paint, replaced 200 missing or spalling bricks, and sprayed the house with a consolidator and water sealant to protect the brick from future deterioration.
David Ericson's vision and dedication have preserved a rare reminder of downtown Salt Lake City's residential past and provided a home for an active community business that contributes to downtown Salt Lake City's vitality.