In 2003, the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency received a grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation to complete several concurrent planning and design studies to help with the Sugarhouse Monument Restoration. The condition of the plaza recently started presenting some safety concerns for large public gatherings. But the monument was created in 1930 and has always served well as a gathering place for the community.
The Salt Lake City staff and architects at Cooper Roberts Simonsen worked with a wide range of stakeholders on the Sugar House Monument project. The studies looked at urban design and historic preservation guidelines, a mobility analysis and preparation of a restoration and improvement plan.
Construction and improvements for the monument began in the spring of 2006 and were completed by that same summer. Restoration of the monument included repointing the mortar joints, cleaning of the stonework, removal and cleaning of the bronze statuary and repair of the damaged bronze work. New electrical conduits were inserted inside the monument and installation of a new basin and concrete apron around the base.
The Sugar House Monument's light now burns brightly once again, serving as a symbol of industry and community for the business district and as the centerpiece for community gatherings.