• headerbg4

Carroll Building, Ogden

This 1890's Romanesque Revival building known as the Carroll Building, is sandwiched between the Kiesel Building and the Berthana Building located in the heart of Ogden's Central Business District. When William Carroll relocated his family from Iowa, he brought with him Utah's first telegraph wires. His prominence led to the biggest funeral that Ogden had ever seen with a twelve minute procession. The Carroll Building appears small in comparison to the surrounding buildings, but with the dedication of the Lohmuellers, this building is able to stand on its own as an asset to this historic district.

In the 1960's the building received new windows, metal work above the storefront windows and tile columns on the sides of the storefront which were typical of the 50's-60's modern style. These added features were built on top of the original materials which actually helped preserve the details of the original façade. Knowing that the existing addition detracted from the story of the building the renovation included the removal of the modern store front. In the rehabilitation, the entryway was moved from the side to the center of the facade to stay consistent with the original photos. Sandstone faces, called Green Men, were discovered at the tops of the columns and preserved. The Green Men were key historical features in the 1890s, commonly being carved into churches and cathedrals across Britain and Europe.

Interior work created new direct access to the second floor from inside the building, which was previously missing. With the large upstairs windows still bearing indication of ropes and pulleys, it was clear they were once functioning double-hung windows. Using historic photos and some detective work, the Carroll Building has been restored to proudly represent the original structure.

Utah Heritage Foundation presented Judy and Rufus Lohmueller with a Heritage Award for rehabilitation of the historic Carroll Building.