A carpenter and city fireman, John F. Cahoon was the first resident of this 1891 as a Victorian cottage. The original house is a single-story Victorian cottage with clipped gables and a simple front porch typical of a pattern book design of the late 1800's. Located in the Avenues Historic District, the home had several additions and modifications throughout the years, including rear additions that nearly doubled the original square footage.
Around 1950 the entire home was covered in aluminum siding. Adding to these architecturally incompatible elements, the house was in general need of repair: the roof needed replacement, gutters leaked or had fallen off, wood trim had deteriorated, and pieces of aluminum siding were missing.
And due to the extent of the additions and modifications, the home could not be fully returned to its original condition. Yet, the passionate owners desired to give the house a sensitive rehabilitation that respected its original character that would feel and fit better with the surrounding historic neighborhood.
The 1950s aluminum siding was stripped from the home, revealing the original brick construction of the southern half of the building. Having been painted sometime before the aluminum siding was installed, it was clear that the siding was installed without regard for the brick, with furring strips nailed in directly.
Single pane windows from the 1940's on the street facade were retained and re-glazed as needed, while aluminum storm windows were removed and replaced with hanging wood sashes with interchangeable screens and glass. The level of craftsmanship and sensitivity to the context of the neighborhood give this carefully restored Victorian cottage a whole new appreciation.
Utah Heritage Foundation presented Adam Mow and Lee Killian with a Heritage Award for their rehabilitation of the John F. Cahoon house.