Located on the site of Old Fort Midway, Midway Town Hall has been the civic and recreation center of the town, it has been in continuous use as a gathering place for the town's social, recreational, and governmental activities. Midway Town Hall was designed by architect Claude Shepherd Ashworth and built by Fredrick O. Hauter with Works Progress Administration funds and local labor in 1941. Midway Town Hall is not only the center of the town's history, but also helps document the impact of New Deal programs in Utah.
After seventy years of intense use, Midway Town Hall was showing its age. The original steel frame windows were in poor shape. The cedar shingle roofing was leaking, the mechanical and electrical systems were outdated, and the distinctive local limestone, known as "pot rock", was deteriorating.
To help the city achieve its goals of restoring the town hall properly, Midway City applied for two federal matching grants, a Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Program funded through FEMA and an Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) funded through the Department of Energy.
With the help of these grants and a generous helping of project coordination, the roof received a new structural sheathing and new cedar shingles to match the historic exposure. The new structural diaphragm on the roof was mechanically fastened to each of exterior masonry walls to enhance the buildings overall lateral resistance. The exterior indigenous pot rock masonry was re-pointed with a custom mortar mix matching the color and texture of the original.
The renovation scope of work included seismic enhancements, modernization of the electrical and mechanical systems, and general stabilization of the structure. With the project's conclusion, the Midway Town Hall will remain the focal point of the community for many years to come.
Utah Heritage Foundation presented Mayor Connie Tatton of Midway a Heritage Award for the stabilization and renovation of Midway's Town Hall.