Malcolm Keyser, a prominent Salt Lake City real estate investor, bought this three-story reinforced concrete warehouse in 1916 for $49,000. The Keyser Warehouse is a part of a complex of three structures linked visually by similar design. The building is located in the Westside Warehouse National Register Historic District and has been home to several distribution operations including Mountain States Supply, Hood Rubber Products, and Sears Roebuck & Co. In the 1980's the building was modified as original double-hung wood windows were removed and replaced with mirror glass. Inside the building, suspended ceilings were added and walls divided the space concealing the original brick and concrete finishes. Despite numerous remodels and modifications, the structural and architectural integrity of the structure remained.
In the spring of 2011, David Utrilla, President of U.S. Translation Company and Honorary Consul to Peru, purchased the building with a plan to bring the building back to something closer to its original 1919 appearance. Working within the Secretary of the Interior Standards for Rehabilitation, the design team upgraded mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, and removed aluminum storefront windows and doors, replacing mirrored glass with high efficiency, operable, double-hung wood windows.
On the interior of the building, non-corrosive methods were utilized to remove non-historic wall covering and paint from the original brick surfaces, revealing remnants of "ghost signs" of the contributing historic periods. The historic Keyser Warehouse was renovated as environmentally responsible and sustainably as possible including material re-use and reconfiguration of the space to improve interior air quality and access to natural lighting.
When asked about the reasons for preserving this building, David Utrilla, President of U.S. Translation Company said, "In our daily business we focus on the highest level of quality while employing practices that sustain and simplify our company."
Utah Heritage Foundation presented the U.S. Translation Company with a Heritage Award for the stabilization and renovation of the Malcolm Keyser Warehouse Building.