Liberal Hall is a small, steepled structure located on Main Street in Mount Pleasant. Its original function was to serve as a recreation center and meeting place for the Liberal Club –local dissident Mormons influenced by the Liberal Movement. Its construction began in 1874 but recognizing an opportunity to provide for their children, members of the Liberal Club made a generous offer to sell the building for use as boarding school. This was the original home of Wasatch Academy who began classes April 19, 1875 and still continue today.
As enrollment increased during the 1890s, Wasatch Academy purchased property to the southwest on the site and moved to the sight of their present campus. Liberal Hall was then the town’s First Presbyterian Church until a mysterious fire on July 4, 1920 altered its fate. The ruined steeple was removed the building passes to various owners. After several decades, Wasatch Academy reacquired Liberal Hall but the walls and foundation were crumbling.
Recognizing Liberal Hall’s institutional and historic significance and alarmed by its steady decline, Wasatch Academy’s administration, alumni and friends joined forces in 2012 to save it. Headmaster Joseph Loftin and Facilities Manager James Berlin led the charge of the complicated restoration effort.
During the process, the exterior stucco was removed revealing original arched windows. A complete seismic upgrade was completed to shore up the crumbling foundation, while shiplap siding once again adorns the exterior. They also rebuilt the steeple using the design the architect Jack Brady created from a historic photograph. The crowning moment for this little building came when the original church bell, missing since the fire of 1920 but recently discovered, was reinstalled and now tolls once more on Main Street.